1. Maintain smoke detectors, and change the batteries every six months.
2. Keep heating equipment clean and in good repair.
3. Unplug appliances when you aren't using them.
4. Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
5. In case of fire, leave your home immediately.
6. Plan escape routes from every room.
7. Practice exit drills, and teach exit procedures to your children.
8. Keep matches out of children's sight and reach.
9. Store combustible liquids outside the home.
10. Shut off your Christmas lights when you aren't home during the holiday season.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.