FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- It's a celebration of fours: It's the Fourth of July and the start of a four-day weekend for most of Fairfield County.
For everyone looking to fill their desire for fun-filled patriotic activities and fireworks, here is a sample of events happening on Thursday throughout Fairfield County, as well as a few extra fireworks listings for those who enjoy an extra explosion on their holiday.
The Independence Day Association of Greenwich will host the 10th Annual Fourth of July Celebration at 9 a.m. July 4 at Greenwich Town Hall, 101 Field Point Road.
The ceremony will include flags of the original 13 colonies, honoring Greenwich residents who are descendants of the towns founding families and the recognition of the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg and the Emancipation Proclamation. Artifacts donated by members of the community are on display at Town Hall to show Greenwich's rich Colonial history.
In Darien, the annual YWCA Push-n-Pull Parade will run through downtown, beginning at 10:30 a.m. It kicks off in the parking lot at the Goodwives Shopping Center, where participants are asked to begin lining up at 10 a.m.
At the conclusion of the parade, there will be food and music at Tilley Pond Park. The Dirty Sock Funtime Band will perform.
Wilton hosts the Freedom Run Road Race starting at 8:30 a.m. The fee for residents is $10 for children ages 14 and younger and $20 for those 15 and older. The race, sponsored by the Wilton Parks and Recreation, is held at the Wilton High School track.
Later in the day, the Republicans will take on the Democrats in a softball match-up at 2:30 on the Wilton High School field.
But the highlight of any celebration of Independence Day is the fireworks. Here is a roundup of area fireworks events for those looking to cap their Thursday with a bang:
- Fairfield: The Fairfield Fireworks 4th of July Celebration will be at about 9:15 at 880 Benson Road. Parking is free after 6 p.m. The fireworks can be seen easily from either Penfield or Jennings Beaches. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice .
- Greenwich: Two shows will be hosted at Binney Park and Greenwich Point at the same time on Saturday after dark.
- New Canaan: The 33rd annual New Canaan Family Fourth Fireworks will be at Waveny Park at about 9 p.m. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice .
- Ridgefield: The Ridgefield fireworks will be at Ridgefield High School on July 4 at dusk. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice .
- Rowayton: Fireworks in Rowayton will be at Bayley Beach on July 4 at about 9:15 p.m. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice .
- Weston: The fireworks in Weston will be at Weston Middles School Field on July 4 around 9:20 p.m. In case of inclement weather, the event will be postponed until July 5. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice .
- Wilton: The Wilton Green and athletic fields will be the primary viewing spots. The display will start after dark. Click here for more information from The Daily Voice.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.