FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- With more winter weather on the way, Eversource is encouraging Fairfield County residents to safely remove snow and ice from gas meters and vents, especially when clearing snow from rooftops.
While clearing roofs, gas meters could become buried and create safety hazards. Snow-blocked vents can cause ventilation issues leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Also, heavy snow piled up on meters could damage or break gas meter connections, potentially causing dangerous gas leaks.
“We’re getting several reports of gas odors because of ventilation issues,” Bill Akley, president of Gas Operations at Eversource said in a statement. “One of our crews recently responded to a gas odor call and discovered the gas meter buried under almost ten feet of snow that was pushed off the roof. So, it’s critical that customers are careful how they are clearing snow.”
Eversource, the new name of Connecticut Light & Power offers these tips for gas meter safety during the winter:
- Be aware of gas meter and piping locations when plowing, snow blowing and removing snow from rooftops to avoid burying natural gas equipment.
- Avoid using a snow blower to clear meters – instead gently remove snow and ice from the area.
- Make sure to keep a path clear to the meter for easy access should service be needed.
For additional natural gas winter safety tips, including carbon monoxide poisoning information, visit http://ow.ly/JnGnl .
If you suspect a leak, move to a safe environment and report it immediately to 9-1-1. Then, contact Eversource at 1-877-944-5325.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.