NORWALK, Conn. – Maritime Aquarium President Brian Davis has always felt a connection to the ocean, and wants visitors to the aquarium in Norwalk to feel that same connection and be inspired to preserve the waters of the world and their ecosystems.
Davis joined the Maritime Aquarium as president and CEO in December. Prior to coming to Norwalk, he served as the vice president of Education and Training at the Georgia Aquarium. He has also worked at the New York Aquarium, Zoo Atlanta and in several school systems across the country.
He said that aquarium’s backdrop on the Norwalk River and the historic nature of the institution were a big draw to him, but even more so were the staff and volunteers at the Maritime Aquarium.
“They want to continue to move the organization in a new and exciting direction, and that’s made the transition enjoyable and exciting. They’re very much on board with seeing something new and continuing to give back to the community of Norwalk,” Davis told Daily Voice.
Davis said that environmental conservation plays a big role in the aquarium’s mission and will play an even bigger one moving forward. He wants people who visit the aquarium to see and interact with the animals of Long Island Sound, and make sure that the rivers and oceans of the world are in healthy shape.
“Conserving the aquatic ecosystems right here locally, and globally, is critically important to us. We are going to grow environmental conservation programs, be much more involved in river cleanups and preservations of the Sound,” Davis said.
He said that the aquarium will also be integrating more technology and updating its exhibits in the coming months to ensure that visitors experience the aquarium in a new and exciting way.
Davis also discussed:
- What was it about aquariums that first drew you to this field? (0:08 into clip)
- What was it about the Maritime Aquarium that attracted you here? (1:10 into clip)
- How have you acclimated to your position and what has been the most exciting part of your time here so far? (1:55 into clip)
- How does environmental conservation play a role in the aquarium’s mission? (2:55 into clip)
- What do you want people to think of when they hear “Maritime Aquarium”? (3:56 into clip)
- What do you see as the Maritime Aquarium’s role in the greater Norwalk community? (4:42 into clip)
- Do you have a favorite exhibit at the aquarium? (5:38 into clip)
- What new and exciting things can aquarium visitors expect in the coming months and in the long term? (6:32 into clip)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.