Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns


Cops Taser 'Aggressive' Norwalk Man

NORWALK, Conn. — An aggressive Norwalk man was Tasered twice Wednesday morning when Norwalk Police officers thought he might be reaching for a weapon, Officer Carlton Giles said.

The account according to Giles:

Police were called to 13 Commerce St. at 8:46 a.m. by a person who had gotten a text message from a friend saying she wanted Datren Scott, 35, of 58 Beacon St. out of her home. When police arrived, Scott was outside, next to his parked car — which had two children in it — yelling at people. He seemed to be very angry and was behaving in very aggressively towards a woman.

Police suspected that Scott might be intoxicated or otherwise impaired based on his delayed responses and behavior. Officers wanted to pat him down for their own safety, but Scott refused and moved up against the building. They told Scott that they wanted to handcuff him, although he wasn't being arrested, and he pulled his hands away "with great force." Police wrestled with Scott and yelled at him to stop resisting. As Scott tried to get away he reached toward the open door of his car. Police suspected he might be reaching for a weapon and deployed a Taser on him.

It had no effect. The police sergeant on the scene deployed his own Taser. Scott continued to struggle but was subdued and handcuffed. Paramedics took him to Norwalk Hospital.

The complainant told police Scott had been hallucinating and acting paranoid and she wanted him out of her home. He was not in his normal frame of mind, she said. She thought he was intoxicated or on drugs.

Scott was arrested and charged with breach of peace second degree, interfering with an officer, assault on a peace officer and injury/risk/impairing morals. Bond was $25,000.

Also on the police blotter:

? A man who appeared to be intoxicated walked down Fairfield Avenue Wednesday evening with a knife, police say.

According to Giles:

Police were called to Fairfield Avenue near Interstate 95 for a report of a possibly intoxicated man on the ground. There was also a knife on the ground, the dispatcher said. Police found the man walking in the area with what appeared to be a knife in his left hand, tucked up behind his forearm.

He was told to drop the weapon and get on the ground, and complied. The apparent knife turned out to be a sword sheath with a gold-color tip. The sword itself was inside his left pant leg.

The man seemed to be intoxicated, was incoherent and slurring words. Instead of answering questions he kept repeating himself. He was taken to Norwalk Hospital. Police took the sword for safekeeping, and no arrest has been made.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.