Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns


Cops Capture Fugitive After 3-Town Chase

Ceasar Fulton's long record of problems with the law came to a head in South Norwalk Thursday night after he drove past the Norwalk Police Station without his headlights on. Sgt. Charlie Perez noticed the infraction and stopped Fulton at South Main and Washington streets, but Fulton took off, leading Norwalk Police on a chase down I-95, where he was eventually apprehended by Westport Police.

Before getting on the highway, Fulton allegedly attempted to run over a police officer in East Norwalk.

There has been a Nationwide Extradition Alert on Fulton, 50, whose last known address was 70 Cottage St. in Bridgeport. It was issued by a judge in Deland, Fla. Fulton's history with police dates to 1990, and includes robbery, felony robbery, escape, resisting arrest, interfering with a police officer, possession of narcotics, battery, assault, cocaine distribution and violation of probation.

"We never know who we're dealing with," said Sgt. Andre Velez. "It could turn out to be a minor motor vehicle stop, or actually you're stopping a major felon. In this case this was a fellow who was intent on hurting people to achieve his goal of evading the police."

Perez noticed Fulton at about 1 a.m. Fulton stopped briefly, then took off through East Norwalk, chased by two police cruisers. He was stopped again at Duck Pond Road and Winfield Street. Perez and another officer got out and attempted to apprehend Fulton, but police say Fulton put the Dodge Durango in reverse and backed up at them. He hit a police cruiser, which sustained minor damage.

Then he got onto I-95, heading north. Connecticut State Police, Westport Police and Fairfield Police assisted in the pursuit. Spike sticks were deployed; six cars and a tractor-trailer also went over them. But Fulton kept going.

Fulton got off the highway at Exit 24 and "ended up in a snow bank," according to Lt. Thomas Mattera, shift commander during the pursuit. There was a short foot chase, which ended when Westport Police Tasered Fulton.

There was a Connecticut woman in the car with him. She was not charged. The Durango, which had Connecticut plates, did not belong to either of them.

Fulton was taken to Norwalk Hospital, where seven rocks of crack cocaine were found in the pockets of his jeans, according to police. He was charged with illegal manufacture, distribution, sale, prescription or administration by non-drug-dependent person; criminal attempt; assault; possession of narcotics; fugitive from justice; failure to have headlights on; reckless operation of a motor vehicle; and engaging an officer in pursuit. Because of the extradition alert, there is no bond.

"Fortunately, it ended well," Velez said. "You know, minor damage to a police vehicle, no officers injured, no citizens injured. But this could have gone the other way. Sometimes a pursuit like this, where it starts with a very minor charge, most of the time, we as police officers have to weigh the value of pursuing against the danger to the public. But because it was late at night and the sergeant that initially started the pursuit is a very experienced officer and the shift commander is a 30-year veteran, I think they were able to weigh that and monitor the situation, and then with the assistance of our brothers in the Fairfield Police and Westport Police it was brought to a successful conclusion."

Follow the Daily Norwalk on Facebook .

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.