FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Gov. Dannel Malloy has partially activated the State Emergency Operations Center until midnight Friday, according to an email from Greenwich First Selectmen Peter Tesei.
Malloy suggests the following safety tips in a statement:
• Watch the sky for approaching dark clouds, increasing wind or flashes of light;
• Take shelter immediately if you can hear thunder because you're close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning;
• Draw blinds and shades over windows as a precaution to prevent windows from shattering into your home should they be broken by blowing debris;
• Stay away from all bodies of water and avoid taking baths or showers because water is an excellent conductor for electricity; and
• Avoid using electrical equipment or appliances.
The town of Greenwich is monitoring the weather, and a decision on whether to partially activate the town's emergency operations center will be made later.