Contact Us
Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton
Return to your home site


Norwalk Daily Voice serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Nearby Towns


Classes Resume At UConn After Bomb Threat; Students Find Alerts Confusing

State police and bomb technicians are still at Tasker Building, also known as the admissions building, investigating a bomb threat made early this morning. Photo Credit: Kate Franzis
Police have taped off the area surrounding the Tasker Building on Hillside Road on the UConn campus. Photo Credit: Kate Franzis
Students at The University of Connecticut Storrs campus received several confusing text messages Thursday morning after a bomb threat was called in to the admissions building. Photo Credit: Kate Franzis

1 p.m. update: FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. - The University of Connecticut at Storrs called a bomb threat made against its Admissions Building not credible and resumed classes Thursday afternoon. But one student said classes were let out during the shelter in place order and some of the instructions were confusing.

The first alert from UConn went out by text and email at about 9:30 a.m. about the threat against the Tasker Building. A shelter in place order went out a few minutes later. At 11:35 a.m. UConn announced the shelter in place order was lifted and classes will resume at 12:30 p.m.

But when the first bomb threat alert went out, some students say they were confused and many teachers let classes out despite the warnings.

Students and staff were told to shelter in place, and those not on campus yet for the day were asked to stay away.

"The first alert was confusing and few students paid attention to the alert and carried about on campus despite the warning to shelter in place," said junior Kate Franzis of Fairfield.

The first alert, she said, told students to evacuate. They were dismissed from classes and began walking across campus, but a second alert came an hour later saying to stay in place, she said.

But Franzis said her professor "didn't miss a beat" and continued the lecture despite the warnings.

Christie Scheer ‏said via Twitter @Scheerio22, "I'm slightly confused because 'shelter in place' means to stay where you are and everyone seems to be walking around normally #UConn."

In a 1 p.m. statement, UConn further explained the timeline of events with the bomb threat. Here is the full statement:

"At approximately 9:12 a.m. on Thursday, April 3, a call was made to the UConn Storrs campus. The caller made a threat about a bomb at the Tasker Building, also known as the Admissions Building.

"Within minutes, the Tasker Building was evacuated and a campus alert was issued. As the UConn Police continued the emergency response, further investigation confirmed that the threat may have involved a firearm. In response, an additional alert was issued advising the campus to shelter in place.

"Based on a sweep of the building and the subsequent investigation into the call, UConn Police determined the threat was not credible. Other agencies assisted in the investigation, including the deployment of bomb detection and removal equipment from the Connecticut State Police.

"The University resumed normal operations as soon as it was determined to be safe to do so.

"Campus safety is our first priority, and all threats are taken seriously. Police are continuing to investigate, and anyone with information about the threat should contact UConn Police at 860-486-4800."

The State Police responded and investigated with its Bomb Squad, Tactical team, and Patrol Troopers, State Police said via Twitter.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Norwalk Daily Voice!

Serves Norwalk & Rowayton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.