NORWALK, Conn. -- The residents of the new Waypointe in central Norwalk were allowed to return to their apartments late Friday night after an evacuation earlier in the evening due to a gas leak, the management team said via email.
"You can drive down Merwin Street to the garage, however, please avoid walking near the roped off areas," said the email, which was sent at 11:15 p.m. to residents of the building at 515 West Ave. "We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and cooperation!"
Yankee Gas reported to the scene Friday and reportedly repaired the gas leak, which was not in the building but on a nearby road.
"The gas leak has been repaired and residents are allowed back in the building," the Norwalk Office of Emergency Management said on its Facebook page. "Thank you Yankee Gas, Norwalk fire and police."
The evacuation on the bitterly cold evening started at about 8 p.m., after a resident of the fifth floor reported the odor of natural gas, according to the Norwalk Police Department. Police went door-to-door to make sure all residents had left the five-story apartment building.
Yankee Gas arrived in the area, at West Avenue and Merwin Street, to find the source of the leak. The repairs were made reportedly completed.
"Yankee Gas excavating street. Avoid!" tweeted Norwalk police Lt. Paul Resnick @NPD_PIO at about 10:30 p.m. Friday.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.