NORWALK, Conn. -- Calling all aspiring musicians: The Norwalk Youth Symphony will be holding auditions beginning Aug. 25 through Sept. 4 for its 57th season.
All musicians from fourth through 12th grades are invited to apply. Advanced third-graders are encouraged to apply as well.
The core program consists of five ensembles:
- Prelude Orchestra: An entry-level string orchestra that performs student works to develop skills in string technique, music theory, and ensemble performance.
- Philharmonia Strings: A mid-level string orchestra that provides a transition from Prelude Orchestra to the more difficult repertoire that is performed by the Concert Orchestra. This ensemble performs periodically with Philharmonia Orchestral Winds.
- Philharmonia Orchestral Winds: Young woodwind and brass players receive the special attention needed to develop their technique, sound, musicality, and orchestral ensemble playing. This ensemble performs orchestral arrangements and periodically performs with the Philharmonia Strings.
- Concert Orchestra: This full symphony orchestra provides experience in rehearsing and performing a wide range of shorter works from the Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods.
- Principal Orchestra: Our most advanced symphonic orchestra performs demanding orchestral classical, romantic, and 20th century repertoire such as full length symphonies, symphonic poems, overtures, and concertos.
For applications and information on additional programs, visit the NYS website or call 203-866-4100. Auditions are by appointment only.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.