NORWALK, Conn. -- A group of 80 Marines and their guests gathered at Shorehaven Golf Club in Norwalk to celebrate the 238th birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps.
In keeping with Marine Corps tradition, Colonel Mike Di Scipio used his Mameluke sword to cut and serve the first pieces of birthday cake to Bill Phillips and Lance Cpl. Chris Blasius, the oldest and youngest Marines at the luncheon.
Other local Marines participating in the event included: Dick Wharton of Darien, Chris Munger of Stamford, Bill Phillips of Greenwich, Colonel Mike Di Scipio of New Canaan, Charles Blaisdell of White Plains, N.Y. and LCpl. Chris Blasius of Stamford.
Proceeds from the event will go to the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, a non-profit organization that grants education tuition to Marines and dependents of Marines on the basis of merit and need.
- 1 Norwalk's Setti Christmas Village Wrapping Up After 26 Years
- 2 Suspects In Custody After Shooters Flee From Stamford To Norwalk
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Norwalk
- 4 Norwalk Police Arrest Two Men On Crack-Possession Charges
- 5 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport