NORWALK, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To Norwalk’s Tarvis Simms!
Simms, who has owned a home in Norwalk, turns 43 on Thursday. The boxer was born May 1, 1971, in Norwalk.
He had a stellar amateur career, compiling a record of 197 wins and seven defeats. He was a National Golden Gloves champion in 1993 at the middleweight class and defeated future super middleweight champion Byron Mitchell as well as future Olympic medalist Roshii Wells.
Simms also competed in international tournaments and fought two-time Olympic gold medalist Ariel Hernández of Cuba.
He turned pro at the age of 26. Although he was undefeated for 12 years and rarely got hit due to his defensive skills, Simms saw limited action due to promotional difficulties.
He signed with adviser Matt Yanofsky and inked a promotional deal with New Jersey-based Main Events. Simms has since won two consecutive bouts heading into 2012, with his eye on another significant fight.
- 1 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 2 Chowdafest VIP Tickets Now On Sale In Norwalk
- 3 Man’s Arrest After Tearing Off Ear While On Drugs Tops Norwalk Week’s News
- 4 Ridgefield Attorney Charged With Stealing A Million From Escrow Accounts
- 5 Norwalk Fire, Police And Public Works Host Open House And Touch-A-Truck