NORWALK, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To Norwalk’s Tarvis Simms!
Simms, who has owned a home in Norwalk, turns 43 on Thursday. The boxer was born May 1, 1971, in Norwalk.
He had a stellar amateur career, compiling a record of 197 wins and seven defeats. He was a National Golden Gloves champion in 1993 at the middleweight class and defeated future super middleweight champion Byron Mitchell as well as future Olympic medalist Roshii Wells.
Simms also competed in international tournaments and fought two-time Olympic gold medalist Ariel Hernández of Cuba.
He turned pro at the age of 26. Although he was undefeated for 12 years and rarely got hit due to his defensive skills, Simms saw limited action due to promotional difficulties.
He signed with adviser Matt Yanofsky and inked a promotional deal with New Jersey-based Main Events. Simms has since won two consecutive bouts heading into 2012, with his eye on another significant fight.
- 1 Four Norwalk Teen Girls Charged With Attacking Mother, Daughters
- 2 4 Teen Girls Arrested, 1 Sent To Hospital After Fight At Norwalk Beach
- 3 Norwalk Couple Charged With Attacking Another Couple At Bar
- 4 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 5 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report