NORWALK, Conn. -- Happy birthday to Norwalk’s Mickey Kydes!
Kydes, who grew up and lives in Norwalk, turns 50 on Friday. The soccer midfielder was born July 25, 1964, in Norwalk.
Kydes played soccer at Norwalk High School from 1978 to 1981. He finished his career with 34 goals and 35 assists. He attended Long Island University, which inducted Kydes into its Hall of Fame in 2005.
On June 7, 1986, the Dallas Sidekicks selected Kydes in the Major Indoor Soccer League draft. He played 29 games with the Sidekicks as the team won the MISL championship before being released on July 2, 1987.
In 1988, he moved to Greece playing for Aris Thessaloniki F.C. of the Greek Alpha Ethniki, as well as Beta Ethniki clubs Kallithea F.C. and Eordaikos.
He played 1991 and 1992 with Greek American AA in the Cosmopolitan Soccer League. In 1993, he was with the Connecticut Wolves in the USISL. On Feb. 7, 1996, the New York/New Jersey MetroStars selected Kydes in the 11th round (109th) overall in the 1996 MLS Inaugural Player Draft.
In 2008, Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame inducted Kydes.
He currently owns Mickey Kydes Soccer Enterprises, and operates Mickey Kydes Soccer Camps and is president of Beachside Soccer Club of Connecticut.
- 1 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 2 Norwalk Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 New Canaan Cop Dragged During Arrest Narrowly Escapes Serious Injury
- 4 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Norwalk
- 5 Man Sentenced To 3 Years For Mortgage Fraud In Norwalk