NORWALK, Conn. -- The Norwalk Public Library system is hosting a tax assistance program with AARP and its IRS-certified volunteers to provide free state and federal income tax preparation and e-filing, with special attention to seniors and low- to moderate-income households.
Assistance will be available at the Norwalk Public Library, located at 1 Belden Ave., every Saturday, starting Feb. 1, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and every Thursday, starting Feb. 6, from 2 to 8 p.m.
The South Norwalk Branch, located at 10 Washington St., will have volunteers on hand every Thursday from 2:30 to 8 p.m. and every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The program will run on the selected dates until Tuesday, April 15.
No appointments are needed. If married, both husband and wife should be present.
Those looking for assistance must bring:
- Proof of Identity - Official Photo Identification.
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State tax return (s), if possible.
- Social Security or ITIN numbers for all taxpayers and dependents.
- Bank checking account and routing numbers (blank check preferable), if expecting a refund.
- All 2013 income report forms received:
- SSA-1099 if you were paid Social Security benefits.
- RRB-1099-R if you were paid Railroad Retirement Board benefits.
- W-2s from your employer(s).
- W-2G from gambling winnings.
- 1099G from unemployment compensation payments.
- 1099s such as from bank interest, stock dividends, retirement distributions or brokers.
- Documents relating to deductible expenses including real estate and vehicle taxes paid.
- Documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets.
- Receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions - charity contributions, etc.
More information may be obtained by calling the Norwalk Public Library at 203-899-2780 ext 15109.