Norwalk Hospital Doctor Offers Tips To Avoid Carbon Monoxide

  • Comment
Norwalk Hospital doctors are offering tips and advice on dealing with the dangers of carbon monoxide during the winter months.
Norwalk Hospital doctors are offering tips and advice on dealing with the dangers of carbon monoxide during the winter months. Photo Credit: File Photo

NORWALK, Conn. -- Norwalk Hospital is offering advice and tips to help avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in winter. 

Dr. Sandra Wainwright, medical director of the Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Norwalk Hospital, said residents should take precautions and that it is essential that immediate action is taken if someone suspects that they have been exposed to the deadly gas. In addition to installing carbon monoxide detectors, Wainwright offered the following tips and advice: 

  • Do not operate gas or propane-powered generators or other gas-powered equipment in enclosed spaces. Even with the garage door or windows open, ventilation of carbon monoxide is not adequate.
  • Do not use charcoal grills or barbecue grills indoors or in garages.
  • Make sure your CO detectors are installed and working properly. Every home should have a CO detector installed in all sleeping areas/bedrooms. Change the batteries in the CO detector every six months, just like you do with your smoke detector.

Wainwright noted that symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

  • “Flu-like” symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting.
  • Dizziness, confusion, chest pain, or loss of consciousness (in severe cases).

Residents are encouraged to call 911 and seek medical attention immediately and do not ignore carbon monoxide detectors that alarm, especially during or after a storm.

  • Comment

Comments