Even though were buried under mountains of snow and its not easy to remember where the lawn starts and finishes, spring is definitely in the air. Trust me. How do I know? Well, for one thing the days are getting longer. But its at this time of year that I start getting fidgety. Why? Its time to start spring cleaning!
None of the references I checked seemed to have an answer for where the term comes from, but various cultures associate cleaning house with springtime festivals. Here in the United States, spring cleaning has come to mean much more than just cleaning house. Youll find the expression used to mean decluttering, both at home and in the office.
To me, spring cleaning means
* Moving all the furniture and banishing dust bunnies
* Dragging the refrigerator out and vacuuming the coils
* Cleaning the filter in the dishwasher
* Cleaning the oven and microwave
* Getting rid of the cobwebs behind the curtains
* Taking out the rugs and beating them with an old-fashioned carpet beater. If thats too much for you, roll them up and clean the floor underneath them. Youll be amazed at whats under there. While you're there, you should consider the following.
* Put new filters in the vacuum cleaner.
* Take books off shelves and dust thoroughly.
* Sort through all the closets.
* Go through medicine cabinet and throw out expired medications.
The list goes on and on. A regular spring cleaning will help keep your house in tip-top condition and inspire you to purge and prevent the build-up of stuff that drives us all crazy.
How often to you give your home a thorough spring-cleaning? Got any tips youd like to share? Leave me a note below.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.