FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A Gallup Poll of nearly 200 U.S. metropolitan areas has found that residents in the Bridgeport, Stamford and Norwalk areas are among the least likely to be obese in the country.
Boulder, Colo., residents were found to be the least likely to be obese, according to the poll, with 12.4 percent of those surveyed listed as obese. The Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk area was ninth on the list with 19.6 percent of those surveyed listed as obese.
Adult obesity rates were above 15 percent in all but one of the 189 metro areas that Gallup and Healthways surveyed in 2012 and 2013, according to the latest poll. Huntington-Ashland in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio had the highest obesity rate at 39.5 percent, according to the poll.
"Nationwide, the U.S. obesity rate increased to 27.1 percent in 2013, the highest Gallup and Healthways have recorded since tracking began in 2008," representatives said in the poll.
Gallup and Healthways track U.S. obesity levels as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, using Americans' self-reported height and weight to calculate Body Mass Index scores. BMI scores of 30 or higher are considered obese, according to the poll.
The following is the listing of the Least Obese U.S. Communities, courtesy of Gallup:
- Boulder, Colo.: 12.4 percent
- Naples-Marco Island, Fla.: 16.5 percent
- Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo.: 18.2 percent
- Charlottesville, Va.: 18.7 percent
- Bellingham, Wash.: 18.7 percent
- San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, Calif.: 19.3 percent
- Denver-Aurora, Colo.: 19.3 percent
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.: 19.5 percent
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn.: 19.6 percent
- Barnstable Town, Mass.: 19.6 percent
- 1 Four Norwalk Teen Girls Charged With Attacking Mother, Daughters
- 2 Norwalk Couple Charged With Attacking Another Couple At Bar
- 3 4 Teen Girls Arrested, 1 Sent To Hospital After Fight At Norwalk Beach
- 4 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 5 Crash Cleared From I-95 Northbound In Norwalk