NORWALK, Conn. -- Norwalk Hospital’s Smilow Family Breast Health Center is promoting breast cancer awareness throughout October, which is designated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The center will be hosting, sponsoring and supporting events that are educational, informative and even entertaining – but all will focus on the prevention and early detection of breast cancer.
Norwalk Mariners Soccer Club, for example, is hosting fundraisers to benefit the center at all home soccer matches through Nov. 3. The Mariners will wear pink uniforms and support bracelets and play with a pink soccer ball.
Other events include:
- A “Look Good, Feel Better” program of the American Cancer Society from 5-7 p.m. Oct. 7 at Norwalk Hospital.
- The Boxing Club of Norwalk will help “Knock Out Breast Cancer” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 9 at 250 Westport Ave., Norwalk. Participants can join a special “Power Hour” class with a whole body cardiovascular workout or just “hang out” and enjoy light fare and drinks, gifts, gear and fun. Proceeds benefit the center. $30 to participate.
- Helen Anison’s seventh annual Breast Cancer Fundraiser will be from 5-8 p.m. Oct. 10 at Helen Anison, 1078 Post Road, Darien. The evening will feature a special appearance by Kaitlyn Torpey, Miss Connecticut. Wine and hors d’oeuvres will be served and there will be a 20 percent discount on purchases. There will be a $20 donation at the door to benefit the center.
- “Evaluation of Women at Increased Risk for Breast Cancer” will be broadcast on TV at 8 and 10 p.m. nightly the week of Oct. 13 on Cablevision Local Programming Channel 84. Guests will include Dr. Heather Frimmer, director of the Suite for Women’s Imaging, Norwalk Radiology & Mammography Center, Dr. George Zahrah, oncologist and director of the Cancer Genetic Program, and Laura Gianninoto, APRN, breast health specialist.
- A newly diagnosed breast cancer support group will meet at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 16 at Norwalk Hospital. Patients receive emotional and practical support in a relaxed, supportive and confidential gathering. Facilitated by Mary Heery, APRN, breast health specialist, and Michelle Dailey, LMFT, family therapist, this support group helps people to become empowered and informed.
- There will be an information booth on breast cancer awareness from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at the hospital. Games, prizes and give-aways will make this educational event enjoyable too.
- There will be a "Yoga on the Green" event from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 20 at Veterans Park in Westport. For a $25 donation, you can enjoy “yoga for healing.” Yoga instructors will conduct sessions, throughout the day. Proceeds benefit integrative medicine for breast cancer patients at Norwalk Hospital.
- There will be a "Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Tea" from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Oct. 24 in the Richard S. Perkin Auditorium at Norwalk Hospital. Topics include: “Breast Health: What will Happen if an Abnormality is Found,” “High Risk Screening Recommendations/Genetics,” “How to Navigate the Health Care System.” Palmer’s Market will cater the event.
- This year’s Norwalk Hospital Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Show will be from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Darien Sport Shop. Inspiring breast cancer survivors, all of whom were treated at Norwalk Hospital, will share their personal stories while they model the latest fashions provided by the Darien Sports Shop. Catered by Palmer’s Market.
- The annual "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk" of the American Cancer Society wil be at 9 a.m. Oct. 27 at Sherwood Island State Park.
- Klaffs in South Norwalk will host a DesiGYNs on Awareness fundraising event at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 14. This event, focused on gynecologic cancer awareness, will feature a presentation by Dr. Adam Ofer, chief of gynecology at Norwalk Hospital. Guests will enjoy a silent auction, wine tasting, martini bar and cuisine by area chefs, DaPietro’s of Westport, Match, Nicholas Roberts Gourmet Bistro, Osteria Romana and Bull’s Head Market. For tickets, call 203-852-2216 or visit http://www.norwalkhospitalfoundation.org. Tickets are $100.
- The Bridgeport Sound Tigers Pink Rink Night will be at 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Webster Bank Arena. Attend a hockey game with the Sound Tigers hosting the Providence Bruins with all proceeds benefiting the center.