NORWALK, Conn. -- Norwalk Dr. Robert Weiss, a specialist in ears, nose and throat difficulties, will lead a seminar on balance and dizziness for the ROMEO Club at the Darien Bertucci's.
Weiss, of Norwalk's CT Center for Advanced ENT Care, will lead the seminar for the Retired Old Men Eating Out club starting at 12:15 p.m. Friday, April 11. Weiss is a board certified otolaryngologist. He will speak about the balance system and the changes associated as we age, according to a release.
Weiss issued the following statistics on dizziness:
- There are an estimated 5 million to 8 million physician visits for dizziness in the United States each year; dizziness is a primary reason for an office visit in the over 75 age group.
- It has been estimated that 65 percent of individuals older than 60 years of age experience dizziness or loss of balance, often on a daily basis.
- In the U.S., the estimated cost of medical care for patients with balance disorders exceeds $1 billion annually.
- Nearly 20 percent of Americans 65 to 75 years of age have a balance disorder with that number increasing to 25 percent by age 75.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury deaths among people over 65. The costs to the Medicare and Medicaid programs and society as a whole from falls by elderly persons continue to climb much faster than inflation and population growth.
- Although adults are typically plagued with dizziness and vertigo disorders, children also experience dizziness and vertigo. Children may be affected more than adults, and this prevents normal childhood activities that range from athletics to playground activities. The most common cause of childhood vertigo is benign paroxysmal vertigo of childhood.
- Recent studies in Germany and Japan suggest BPPV accounts for 7 percent to 8 percent of all causes of Vertigo.
- 1 Four Norwalk Teen Girls Charged With Attacking Mother, Daughters
- 2 Norwalk Couple Charged With Attacking Another Couple At Bar
- 3 4 Teen Girls Arrested, 1 Sent To Hospital After Fight At Norwalk Beach
- 4 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 5 Crash Cleared From I-95 Northbound In Norwalk